3.1

I am a grad student who was looking for a less expensive way to get my books. Cengage Unlimited seemed like a good option as I had a list of all the textbooks I would need for my entire program and 6 of them were published by Cengage.

Most books average between $85 and $150, so this would definitely be a savings even with the $250 price tag of Cengage Unlimited 2 year membership. I like the digital format, the read-aloud option, highlighting and notes option. However, the website is hard to navigate and support is not always helpful (or available!). The website is far from intuitive and is clearly geared towards students whose schools are also using the platform (which mine does not).

Every search bar asks for a course or product "key" code which you get only if your institution has paid Cengage. Even finding or getting to the correct login page can be a hassle (bookmark when you find it!). I even had to hunt for Help (normally, a readily found link on most website) only to receive a notification that support was down for maintenance at 8am on a weekday. Luckily, I had saved the phone number for Support from the last time I had problems.

Even so, they were not able to figure out why I couldn't add another textbook and had to do it manually for me.

Just really bad web design making a useful resource difficult to use. If 1) your school isn't using Cengage, 2) you are not tech-savvy, or 3) you are not a persistent person, willing to hunt both the website, the internet, or wait on hold for long periods - I would not recommend.

Product or Service Mentioned: Cengage Learning Website.

Reason of review: could not find the right search bar for searching the catalog. Later discovered that you have 2 searches next to each other on top menu ("Register another course or product" next to magnifying glass appears a 1 search option). Such bad web design!.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments